Why is cleaning more important than ever?
Cleanliness has always been one of our priorities. But now it is even more important because we aim to reduce the spread of the infection. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s possible for someone to contract COVID-19 by touching a contaminated surface. That’s why it’s essential to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces often, especially between reservations.
The difference between disinfecting and cleaning
When it comes to preventing the spread of germs, it helps to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Cleaning is the act of removing germs, dirt, and impurities (like when you use a soapy sponge to wipe off a visibly dirty counter or stovetop). Disinfecting is when you use chemicals to kill germs (like spraying with a bleach solution or ethanol-based products). By cleaning first, then disinfecting, you can lower the risk of infection.
Here are the guidelines we use for cleaning
1. Ventilate rooms before cleaning. We let the air circulate for at least 20 minutes. If possible, we leave all windows open during the entire cleaning process.
2. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after each cleaning. We use soap and water and we wash our hands for at least 20 seconds. If this is not possible, we use a hand sanitizer with a minimum alcohol content of 60%.
3. Clean and then disinfect. We use detergents suitable for different surfaces or soap with water to remove dirt, grease, dust and germs. Once the surface is clean, we use a specific nebulizer for sanitizing with a disinfectant that kills viruses, bacteria and pathogens. We pay particular attention to the most frequently touched surfaces, such as light switches, door knobs, remote controls and tap mixers.
6. Wash the laundry at high temperature.Sheets, mattress covers, towels and blankets are washed at very high temperatures to remove any type of germs and bacteria and ensure cleanliness and hygiene.
7. Throw away or wash the products used for cleaning. If we use paper towels, disinfectant wipes and other disposable cleaning products, we take out the rubbish once it’s done. If we use rags or other reusable products, we wash them in the washing machine at very high temperatures.
8. Safely remove all devices used for cleaning. When cleaning is done, we immediately remove any protective clothing, such as gowns, gloves or masks, and throw them away or wash them, as appropriate.
Checklist of items to clean and disinfect
- Light switches
- Remote controls
- Fan and lamp chains
- Window sills and window handles
- Garbage and recycling bins
- Cabinet handles and pulls
- Coffee maker
- Salt and pepper shakers
- High chairs for children
- Faucet handles
- Showers and tubs
- Shower doors
- Hangers and luggage racks
- Vacuum cleaners
- Portable cribs
- High chairs
- Pool chairs